Wednesday 29 December 2010

Paperscrap Recycling ...

The Once in the Blue Moon challenge at Gingersnap Creations is something special this month: The DT will give you options from which you can choose your favourite project as inspiration for your own creative work. How cool is this?
My project is: how to use your paper scraps. Being a bit of a hoarder when it comes to paper, I cannot really throw anything away keeping even the very slim cut-offs you get when trimming paper for square or rectangular shapes. I am sure you can imagine that my box with paper scraps is rather big (lol). This was now the opportunity to dig into it and do something useful with them.
My plan was to create a card with scraps only ...First I ordered the scraps into colours ... it only took a couple of hours (lol). Once this was done I made a plan of which colour to use for what and started creating
... well, ok, my scraps were not big enough for the card base, I cut it from Elzybells's Kraft card. The next step was to design the background with bigger scraps which preferably would have some printed words. I found some cut-outs from an old book and various bits from some patterned papers and arranged and glued them onto a bigger piece of watercolour paper
Some stitching and distressing of the edges completed the background. Having lots of thin strips of paper I chose the green ones and wove them into a sort of meadow structure whereby some strips are used as flower stems which are also stitched
I cut some leaves and did some stitching and then created some flowers, there is a brilliant tutorial for the flowers here ... I had to adjust it slightly like not cutting the strips into equal width ... I like it better like this (lol)
A little girl (image from Carol Anne) visits the garden to pick some flowers. I had printed both images the girl and butterfly wings (image from the Graphics Fairy) some time ago for another project but never used it. The word sentiment was stamped with a Little-Z stamp and Brilliance ink.
Do you have paper scraps as well? Get them out and start creating .... it is fun, it is cheap and the result will be amazing. Show us what you do with your paper scraps! Petra.

15 comments:

brandi said...

~i can only sit here and wonder what this new year will bring forth in your crafty days...this is ever so sweet...i love everything about this piece from the background to the forfront...a really beautiful piece petra!!! i too am a hoarder of paper...what started as one tinsy box has grown to three and overflowing!!! much love light and blessings be with you always~

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, wow, and more wow, Petra!! This is stunning, and so very clever. I hoard scraps, too, especially vintage text, which I cannot bear to part with. So that scrap text background especially speaks to me, and I love the flower garden you've woven together. Great inspiration!

Linda Brun said...

Stunning Petra. Love the use of your scraps. Specially love the background. Thank you for the inspiration!!

2amscrapper said...

I'm accepting your challenge, Petra. I'm impressed in only took a couple of hours to organize your scraps. This card is stunning! Helene

Anonymous said...

Totally gorgeous card! I love the way you put your scraps together! Thanks for sharing your process!

Lynn Stevens said...

Well from the looks of things you can tell this wasn't a quick card, my gosh girl its Wonderful!
the layers, the weaving, the stitching. I think you covered it all! Fabulous!!!

Maureen said...

This is a brilliant card Petra!! and a great tutorial.

Sherry said...

That's one stunning card Petra - love it all!

Oh yes, I've plenty of scraps - paper, fabric, metal, lace, ribbons ...... I could go on and on - lol.

Lila said...

Totally gorgeous card and love the background.

peggy gatto said...

Charming and such wonderful details!!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

I checked out the GS posts, and this one really popped out and said, "look at me" I love all the detail work you put into it! I also luv the circles, I always freeze, when I get a recyle=resude challenge, I need to get more crea8tive! Hugs GF

Lucy Edmondson said...

I love this! You have such a variety in your style,

Lucy x

Wooded Solitude said...

I too love everything about this VERY creative piece. The layering is terrific. I love the background! Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

Terry said...

You turned your scrap paper into a landscape of beauty! Love this! Happy New Year!

Ali said...

these are brilliant card Petra!! and amazing tutorial.

Plastic Card

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails